Popular Posts

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

BEING A MIDDLE CLASS GIRL

" I WANT TO FLY " , a quote familiar and favorite to almost every person. Everyone, i guess, has a desire to fly, to grow, to achieve what they want in their lives.
I also have one. To outgrow my fears, my negativities, low confidence..
At times, i come across a low self esteem. It's because I belong to a middle class society. It's not being a middle class that disturbs me but what disturbs me is the mentality of the people around me. The negative energy they radiate upon whole society. What I want to say is that our middle class society is still lacking somewhere in this context. People neither want to grow themselves nor they want to let others grow.
There's always a dilemma in my mind. My parents tell me to walk with the society. I do not deny this fact that it's good to be social. But, I am sorry to say only a few are there who understands the meaning of "BEING SOCIAL". According to me, it means to let the society grow and not to bound the whole community with your limitations.
The victims of these boundaries and limitations is none other than a girl. I often look at my mother. She is the one in our family who has to compromise and adjust. Why SHE always do so? I am also not allowed to do so many things. I got job offers from private sector. But I was denied. And what I was told was that 'if it was your brother in your place we had said a yes. But you are a girl, so, we can't allow you.' I cursed myself for being a girl. But i also realized that its me only who has to take initiative. Waiting for someone else would never work. In fact, the day will never come.
I know what looks so easy and simple is really not so. I have the idea of the competition. I want to experience it. At least, I don't want to keep any regrets for myself to dig me in future.
In short
" I DON'T WANT TO QUIT WITHOUT STARTING "

4 comments:

  1. Dear moni,i read your blog carefully.I agree with you to some extent but don't completely blame the middle class mind set and being girl for the situation you are facing.Their are lots of other middle class girls who came from small towns and villages and they made it big in their respective fields.The problem that you are talking about is not just with middle class but it exists with whole indian society.But i would say indian society has come a long way in terms of giving freedom to girls but still lot to be done.Now things are changing in small towns and villages.In the recent common wealth games lot of girls have made India proud and most of them have come from rural areas and towns.Moni, as far as your situation is concerned you need to put forward your side strongly to your family.They are not allowing you to take up job proposals because you have other better options at your disposal.Sometimes boundations and restrictions come as "blessings in disguise".They make u stronger n push u to realize your DREAMS.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right Verun. I am not denying this fact. You are talking about the girls who made India proud. And they really did. But that was when their family supported them. And you are also true that there are many other better options for me. But Interest and Aptitude also mean something in one's life. And yeah! m definitely going to convert these limitations and boundaries into my success. Thanks dear.. for putting forward your point of view. It helped me look other aspects also. But I hope you agree with my view to some extent here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm..
    Good article...
    worst reality of society...
    I've a;so posted a short story based on such situations titled as 'KYA HOGA- (1) & KYA HOGA- (2)..

    you would like to read...

    http://punarjanmm.blogspot.com/2010/10/1.html


    http://punarjanmm.blogspot.com/2010/10/2.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. the last line of your of post is saying everything.... keep going ...nice thoughts

    ReplyDelete